College Technician (Permanent Teagasc Subvented Post)
A panel may be formed from which future similar vacancies may be filled; such a panel will remain active for a maximum period of 6 months.
Location: Salesian Agricultural College, Pallaskenry, Co. Limerick.
Reporting To: College Principal and/or other nominated manager.
Grade/Salary: Technician Grade 1 with a starting salary of €32,950 per annum.
Starting pay will be at the minimum of the scale per Government Circular E100/8/82. Exceptional circumstances may apply for candidates with current or previous service in the public sector (including Teagasc).
The current salary scale is €32,950 to €43,880. Remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government Policy.
Basic Function: To provide technical support for the running of all educational programmes operated by Salesian Agricultural College.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and deliver livestock skills training with learners in line with approved curriculum in dairy, beef and sheep enterprises.
- Undertake practical skills assessment of learners. • Assist in the supervision of learners on work experience.
- Implement and supervise the calving & lambing student/staff roster. This will require some out of hours and weekend work at times from February to April each year, in which case the Salesian Agricultural College time in lieu policy will apply.
- Supervise and manage the following technical aspects of the college dairy, beef and sheep enterprises including:
- Collect and record farm enterprise data such as financial, calving, calf registration, lambing, body weights, condition scores, locomotion scores, grass measurement, faecal egg counts, grazing and fertiliser events.
- Assist farm staff and other technical staff in accurate recording of animal events and drug usage.
- Assist teaching staff with the preparation of information for use in publications and weekly reports.
- Participate in the dissemination of enterprise information to students, farmers and other stakeholders.
- Utilise college computer software packages including MS Excel, Sheep Ireland, HerdPlus, HerdWatch, SenseHub
- PastureBase, AgFood etc.
- Assist in the completion of the college nutrient management plan.
- Make returns to DAFM (sheep census) and Bord Bia (quality assurance compliance).
- Assist in the requisition of college consumables and equipment as required.
- Maintain safe animal handling facilities & equipment.
- Assist in the organisation and running of advisory and promotion events and activities.
- Participate in future reviews and evaluations of Teagasc educational programmes.
- Assist with and participate in marketing courses at Salesian Agricultural College.
- Manage the health and safety of students on the college dairy and drystock farmyards.
- Participate in the development of the college business plan.
- Undertake self-development, updating and actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
- Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Salesian Agricultural College staff and co-operate with management in enabling Salesian Agricultural College to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement. • Undertake any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. Duties and responsibilities will be reviewed with the post-holder from time to time