Become a "Trained Farmer" also know as the "green cert"
Becoming a trained farmer (green cert) refers to a list of land based courses. At the Salesian Agricultural College we focus on agricultural studies.
This is one of the conditions of stamp duty exemption on the transfer of a farm to a son or daughter. It also meets the criteria for schemes or grants that may be available from time to time
Recent national policy has prioritised ‘young trained farmers’ for various farm schemes and incentives. Graduates of our training courses meet the training qualification to become a ‘young trained farmer’. Measures and schemes where a young trained farmer qualification is required or is advantageous to have include:
- Young Farmers Scheme
- National Reserve Scheme – Young Farmer Category
- Young Farmer Capital Investment Scheme under the Targeted Agricultural Modernisation Schemes (TAMS)
- Registered Farm Partnerships/ Collaborative Farming Grant Scheme
- Stamp Duty Exemption on Transfers of Land to Young Trained Farmers
- Capital Acquisitions Tax Relief
- Stock Relief on Income Tax for Certain Young Trained Farmers
It is expected that future CAP reform will have benefits for young trained farmers. Completing training with us will allow you to benefit from future schemes and reliefs.
Note: Education requirements for schemes are subject to change and applicants are required to meet terms and conditions when applying for various schemes.
Preparing for your future career
Training with us will allow you to:
- Develop the capability to adopt and integrate future advances in farm husbandry and technologies
- Be proficient in business planning, financial management, governance and compliance
- Develop an entrepreneurial mind-set and foster fresh thinking and new approaches work
- Prepare for smart farming, precision farming, sensor technology, automation and robotics
- Become digitally literate to exploit future technology to the maximum
- Master future environmental and climate change challenges
Our graduates stay in the industry
Teagasc conducts a ‘look back’ survey among its Level 6 graduates five years after they graduate. The aggregated findings from those responding show:
- Very high level of graduates working in the industry post-graduation (90%+)
- Substantial involvement at management level. • Increased levels of activity and investment by graduates.
- A positive view of how their Teagasc education prepared them for their career.
- A very high level of endorsement of their Teagasc course to others